Monday, March 17, 2008

Damn ISP's forever

So my internet is down, has been down, all weekend. I am confined to use the internet from my office, so no Second Life until Wed., when the cable people will deign to come and fix things. While it is true that having free time this weekend let me see movies and listen to my now ex RL BF whine about how he is sorry and wants me back, I miss my SL.

I miss my friends, to be sure. I miss SL shopping to be sure (never ever ever under-estimate the power of SL retail therapy!). I miss SL voyeurism, and I even, almost, miss bad pick up lines from creepy newbies. Mostly what I miss is the power to step outside myself and be my "other."

I need the escape, its like a drug. A whole weekend in real life and I am feeling confined, limited. Yes, I admit, horny and pent up too. Its amazing how liberating the illusion is. How much I crave the escape. Its not really even so much the notion of surrendering to desire and becoming a sex doll as it is the notion that I could.

In SL I am potential energy incarnate. I know that all it takes is will, and I can turn potential energy into kinetic energy, so to speak. In RL the daily prison of being myself, with all the hang-ups, expectations and obligations is limited. SL has made the RL me a prisoner of my body. I enjoy my RL, don't get me wrong, I am well grounded. But when I enter the portal into SL, my whole soul becomes truly free. SL is an odd sort of self realization for me. This probably makes me some sort of virtual world new ager. At least playing in a virtual world seems more healthy than sleeping with rocks. Or wearing Birkenstocks.
One thing that I do like better in RL: shoes. As much as I love my SL shoes, there is nothing like the feeling of slipping into a pair of shoes. All that saved me this weekend was spending a ridiculous amount of money on a pair of Barbara Buis I have been eyeing since before X-mas. Feast your eyes on these:



2 comments:

Rosie said...

oh...
what have we got here?
Another shoe mad woman :)

Jennifer Reitveld said...

I can't help it, the shoes just call to me....:)

I am an addict. Cerfited and certifiable.